- Looks like sporting-event-triggered “fanquakes” aren’t just for Seattle anymore.
- Ever wonder what it felt like when the Titanic hit that berg? You may get the chance to find out soon.
- Seems the Federal Highway Administration does NOT love the latest “I Heart NY” ad campaign.
- Speaking of NY and revisiting Weird Weddings… how ’bout proposing in front of the NYPD band at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?
This Week In History
- Sunday, 11/27: US Army War Collee established, 1901; first Macy’s Thanksgiving parade, 1924; Ford confirmed for Vice President, 1973
- Monday, 11/28: First American auto race, 1895; New York Stock Exchange ends WWI-triggered 5-month shutdown, 1914; first pulsar discovered, 1967
- Tuesday, 11/29: Byrd flies over South Pole, 1929; Warren Commission established, 1963; Lakewood Four shooting, 2009 (RIP, my friends)
- Wednesday, 11/30: Justice Samuel P. Chase impeached, 1803; Battle of Franklin, 1864; INF treaty talks start, 1981
- Thursday, 12/1: House decides Presidential election, 1824; Ford pioneers moving assembly line, 1913; Rosa Parks sparks Montgomery bus boycott, 1955
- Friday, 12/2: Monroe Doctrine announced, 1823; John Brown martyred, 1859; Senate censures McCarthy, 1954; first artificial heart installed, 1982
- Saturday, 12/3: Illinois statehood, 1818 (oops!); Laurel & Hardy’s first film, 1927; first SMS text message, 1992
Today’s Birthdays: Gunmaker Oliver Winchester, 1810; writer Mark Twain, 1835; Winston Churchill, 1874; TV host Dick Clark, 1929
Holidays Around the World: It’s Cities for Life Day. Also, the Philippines observe Bonifacio Day, the UAE has Commemmoration Day, Benin has National Day, and both Barbados and South Yemen celebrate Independence Day today.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for or a Rock Island .22TCM/9mm 1911 or Sig-Sauer P320RX pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/ – P320 ends today!
- *Guns Magazine, for a Diamondback Firearms DB9 micro 9mm pistol package, Mossberg Patriot or Ruger Hawkeye rifle package: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/ – Ruger ends tomorrow!
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Howa 1500 bolt-action rifle package or Citadel 9mm compact 1911 pistol: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/ – both end today!
- Aero Precision, for a custom a custom M5E1 .308 tactical rifle: http://gvwy.io/1fiz601 – ends today!
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry.
Random Question for Discussion
With Thanksgiving having recently passed, I’ve been raising this question around the old haunts, so I’ll spread it here too: What single thing did you have to be most thankful for? I’ll go first, though you may laugh at my answer or think me a typical self-centered entitled millennial: “Never having known real ‘need,’ no reason to worry about keeping a roof over my head or the water running or worrying about my next meal other than selecting from a variety of available options. Everything else is First World Problems… and for me, mostly toward the Minor Nuisance end of even that scale.”
Quote of the Day
A lesson more Republicans need to learn about politics, and more Americans need to learn about both national and self-defense:
“War is not nice.”–former First Lady Barbara Bush
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Now that you’ve sampled my modest contribution, roll up your sleeves and Go To War on whatever random thoughts may cross your mind here!