- Proof Russia’s on crack: They just built a monument to murderous tyrant Ivan the Terrible. Precursor for Putin?
- And the award for Creative Reuse of Journalistic Facilities goes to… Dunkin Donuts, turning a fishwrapper office into a donut plant.
- Looking for a romantic Halloween date night? How about Dracula’s crypt? Sorry, you’ll have to leave your garlic at home… and hope you like your dinner bloody.
This Week In History
- Sunday, Oct 16: Last major raids of Revolutionary War, 1780; first demonstration of anesthesia, 1846; Brown raids Harpers Ferry, 1859; BYU founded, 1875
- Monday, Oct 17: Burgoyne and Cornwallis surrender, respectively 1777 and 1781; Capone found guilty, 1931; San Francisco rocked by Loma Prieta quake, 1989
- Tuesday, Oct 18: Burning of Falmouth, ME, 1775; Moby Dick published, 1851; US takes possession of Alaska, 1867, and Puerto Rico, 1898; Fuchs nuclear treason, 1945
- Wednesday, Oct 19: Jay sworn in as first SCOTUS Chief Justice, 1789; Confederate terrorists attack St. Albans, VT, 1864; Cuban embargo begins, 1960
- Thursday, Oct 20: Senate ratifies Louisiana Purchase, 1803; MacArthur’s “I Have Returned” walk-on-water, 1944; HUAC begins investigation of Hollywood, 1947
- Friday, Oct 21: USS Constitution launched, 1797; Edison invents viable lightbulb, 1879; Ike transfers von Braun’s rocket team from Army to NASA, 1959
- Saturday, Oct 22: Houston inaugurated as first President of Texas, 1836; run on Knickerbocker Trust Co. triggers Panic of 1907; Supremes first “girl group” with a #1-selling album, 1966
Today’s Birthdays: Financier Charles E. Merrill, 1885; Admiral Arleigh “31-Knot” Burke, 1901; actor John Lithgow, 1945; South Park co-creator Trey Parker, 1969
Holidays Around the World: Albania celebrates Mother Teresa Day and New Zealand Constitution Day today.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette. Also, with some Watercooler personnel changes this feature may become every-other-week rather than the present weekly schedule.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Sig-Sauer P320RX pistol or SIG716 DMR G2 precision rifle package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Mossberg Patriot .375 rifle package: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Henry Golden Boy .22LR or Big Boy .44 Magnum lever-action rifle: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/d6i0h6b
- GrabAGun, for a Vickers Tactical Glock 17 RTF2 pistol autographed by retired Delta Force operator and gunsmith Larry Vickers: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry.
Quote of the Day
Just something to remember this season… particularly with some on our side.
To find a fault is easy; to do better may be difficult.–Plutarch
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Now that you’ve had a little, it’s your turn to leave something for the table.