Budget Ballistic Blocking
Stumbled across a neat little gadget, a backpack-size whiteboard that’ll stop a .45 Auto FMJ round. Manufacturer says it offers NIJ Level IIIA (that’s police body armor) protection of a 10×13-inch area for a sticker price of around a hundred and twenty bucks. Kevin Michalowski at USCCA intends to do some testing on these soon (as of June 27) and report back with results, but haven’t heard anything yet. Then again, if an extra pound of weight buys me even just an extra few seconds to rush an Active Shooter so I can take his weapon away and give him the Mozambique Drill treatment with it…
For the Hardware Geeks
One of my favorite sites, Imminent Threat Solutions, has a poster-style chart of American fighting vehicles on land, sea and air our Hardware Junkies miht like. Check it out at this link. Also, for those moment when you just have to melt the living crap out of some Special Snowflake’s frail little ego, check out their Butthurt Report Form package at http://www.itstactical.com/centcom/its-information/in-case-of-butt-hurt-new-its-butt-hurt-report-form-in-the-its-store/ –but don’t just slap the “Be Nice To Me I Got Butt Hurt Today” sticker on ’em, lest the little Gersh Kuntzman wannabes scream about how you “pummeled them horribly.”
From the Weird/Odd/Annoying Files and other Quick Hits…
- Hooked on Pokemon Go? The Holocaust Museum and Arlington Nat’l Cemetery both ask that you play the game somewhere else…
- … and the Goochland, VA Sheriff’s Department would like to remind you that even if you’re only chasing Pokemon, being on property after business hours is still Criminal Trespass.
- Slurping the Haterade for Stubfinger getting a little stale? Try a Trump Tonic or Hillary Hooch from CT-based Avery’s Beverages. This is the third year they’ve done election-themed beverages… and the past two their sales have mirrored actual turnout. Wonder how they’ll handle it if Operation Chumpdump works out in Cleveland?
- Talk about nerves of steel: A New Zealand kebab shop owner disposed of a stickup artist rather unconventionally, by carrying on with business as usual. “Would you like a squab-on-a-stick and a side of SWAT with that?”
- Good help is hard to find… the Boscotrecase, Italy municipal government has basically had to shut down after half the city’s employees have been charged with criminal absenteeism and fraud. Even after they were WARNED a crackdown was coming…
- None of the above categories, but pilots rejoice: Third Class Medical Reform is in the new FAA Extension bill… so the only way to stop it now is to veto the bill.
This Week In History
- Sunday, July 11: US takes Detroit under Jay Treaty, 1796; Burr kills Hamilton, 1804; CSA attempts DC invasion, 1864; Babe Ruth’s MLB debut, 1914; To Kill a Mockingbird published, 1960
- Monday, July 12: Medal of Honor established, 1862; Rolling Stones’ first concert, 1962; NPRC arson destroys almost 1/3 of all military personnel records, 1973
- Tuesday, July 13: New York draft riots, 1863; Hollywood sign dedicated, 1923; Butterfield reveals Nixon tapes, 1973; New York Blackout, 1977
- Wednesday, July 14: Sedition Act takes effect, 1798; Billy the Kid killed, 1881; Mariner 4 takes first close-ups of Mars, 1965
- Thursday, July 15: Georgia last Confederate state to rejoin Union, 1870; Boeing founded, 1916, and first flies “Dash 80,” America’s first jetliner, 1954; US/USSR Apollo-Soyuz Test Project spacecraft launched, 1975
- Friday, July 16: DC established as US capital, 1790; Farragut first USN admiral, 1862; OKC installs world’s first parking meter, 1935; Apollo 11 launched, 1969
- Saturday, July 17: Carrier builds first air conditioner, 1902; napalm first used, 1944; Disneyland opens, 1955; B-2 Spirit “stealth bomber” first flight, 1989
Today’s Birthdays: Chef Paul Prudhomme, 1940; actors Patrick Stewart, 1940 and Harrison Ford, 1942; comedian Cheech Marin, 1946; astronaut George Nelson, 1950
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- American Handgunner magazine, for a Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver, an NAA .22 Magnum mini-revolver or an HK VP40 pistol: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- Guns Magazine, for an EAA polymer 1911 pistol, a SIG-Sauer P320 package or a Model 89 lever-action rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Remington RM380 pistol with Crimson Trace laser or 870 Express shotgun: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/ ENDS FRIDAY!
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/80g0hph
Quote of the Day
Inspired by the combination of aviation news and today’s birthdays…
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Sorry, guys, just not a lot of political headlines catching my eye today–if y’all feel something’s going under-reported please share with the class. 🙂