“…or that it happens so often there’s actually a term for it.” – Giles Prentice – Broken Arrow
There is a term that aptly describes what happened in Connecticut – tragedy. That is the term that has been used countless times by various news outlets to try and encapsulate the incident in such a way that the raw emotion and grief people experienced and are still experiencing is conveyed to the people who have watched the news since then.
Now, comes the hard part –
People want these tragedies to end. Who wouldn’t? The problem is that people who think there is a way that you can make these tragedies end are simply deluding themselves. You cannot stop people who are intent on being evil from being evil. Because…
“Some men just want to watch the world burn.” Alfred Pennyworth – The Dark Knight
Obama said as much as to the people of Newtown when he spoke at a service there. From his speech–
No single law — no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society.
Yet, the calls for gun control have already been sounded. If Adam Lanza did not have a gun, would he have not killed anyone? The answer is no. He simply would have chosen a different weapon. Remember, the most horrific mass murder that took place in this country was carried out by 19 men who used four airplanes to kill over 3,000 people who went to work that morning. (How many people would have thought to use an airplane to commit mass murder before then?) Yet, there was no outcry to stop producing airplanes.
But taking away guns is going to be the solution the left and their liberal lapdog media will try and jam down our throats. That is what Obama means when he also said –
“I will use whatever power this office holds…”
Obama will come for your guns and tragedies like these will continue to happen. Am I saying that we should accept these events? No, people do have to try and do something – but they also need to be realistic in their approach. Disarming the general public does not stop senseless violence. It only encourages it since criminals would know that people are unarmed.
Also, looking to Washington for answers is also delusional. The politicians in D.C. are so bereft of solutions that they no longer care to hide that fact. If people want to solve problems, they have to do it on their own – in spite of “the help” they will get from Washington D.C. If one were to remember their history of when governments implemented gun control for the safety of the people, they got results such as the following:
- In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
- In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
- Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
- China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
- Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
- Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
- Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
What this list should remind us of is one question — How much power do we turn over to the government? The power to remake society into one where life is valued is not in Washington D.C. Despite liberal proclamations to the contrary, Obama is not some sort of “god” who can make things happen.
What happened in Connecticut was a tragedy, what happened in Colorado was a tragedy, what happened at Virginia Tech was a tragedy – but real meaningful change in a society comes from the people. The people choose to make a difference in their world and things get better. That’s how change works. That is the solution that people need to focus on. Then you might just decrease the likelihood of this tragedy happening again anytime soon.