The second part of Obama’s plan – which I am still trying to figure out why he didn’t release until two weeks before the election – is focused on achieving energy independence. His overall goal is to pursue an “all of the above” energy strategy. (Hasn’t he been saying this during his first term – before he started campaigning for re-election?)
To do this, Obama has outlined a five point plan –
Opening up millions of acres for exploration and development, including undiscovered oil and gas resources in the Gulf of Mexico and the Arctic.
What’s that old saying – Actions speak louder than words.
- Despite claiming to be on the job since Day 1, the Obama Administration watched as the BP oil spill lasted for months while refusing help from the Dutch who were wanting to assist in the clean-up efforts. They then implemented a moratorium on offshore drilling that would – that would close off the Gulf of Mexico to exploration and drilling.
- The Obama Administration has killed the Keystone Pipeline – which was supposed to do what??? – provide Americans with Canadian oil.
- Federal government is clamping down on the production of oil and gas on federal land as you can see here and the statistics from the federal government here.
And can someone please explain how we can open up the Arctic for drilling and exploration since no part of this country is in the Arctic? We have no sovereign authority there. Welcome to the Obama plan for energy independence – Let’s get gas and oil resources from the Arctic while we sit on the gas and oil reserves we have in this country. D’oh!
Investing in domestic energy sources including wind, solar, clean coal, nuclear, and biofuels. All while increasing our energy efficiency.
Obama has had four years to implement this – which was part of his 2008 campaign – and what did we get out of it:
- Zero investment in the development of usable nuclear energy – with the last one built in 1996.
- Investments in wind farms that disrupt radar and are manufactured in China with additional parts made elsewhere in the world.
- With natural gas being a cheaper alternative (which Romney wants), development and production of the more expensive equipment needed to produce clean coal has dramatically slowed. (Obama has alienated WV Democrats over “clean coal” to the point that he lost delegates in the primary to a convicted felon.)
Doubling fuel economy of cars and light trucks to 54.5 mpg by 2025, which will reduce oil consumption by 2.2 million barrels a day and save consumers more than $8,000 at the pump.
The main problem here is that the Obama Administration, as stated by Energy Secretary Stephen Chu, is only interested in raising the price of gasoline to European levels. So, common sense will tell you that more fuel efficient cars mean nothing if you cannot afford to fill them up. (Remember, gas prices were less than $2 a gallon when he took office.)
Calling on Congress to build on our success in positioning America to be the world’s leading manufacturer in high-tech batteries. President Obama is calling for extending tax credits that support clean energy manufacturing.
- Someone might want to remind the president of the number of battery making companies he has given money to that have failed – but Obama continues to bank on the idea of America becoming the world leader in high-tech batteries?? (Is there any reasonable person out there who is going to buy this? He has done this for the duration of his first term and it has not worked, and the American taxpayer is out billions in the process.)
Setting a standard for utility companies so that 80% of the nation’s electricity comes from clean sources by 2035. This will help create a market for American manufacturers to make the clean energy technology we need, while improving access to cheaper, more secure energy for U.S. manufacturers.
- This is the plan that Obama himself said would make electricity costs skyrocket and bankrupt a coal-fired power plant. (So, what does Obama really want if his plan will raise prices and destroy the coal industry in the U.S.?)
But Obama continues to claim that he has the plan to make the U.S. energy independent – if you believe this, then Obama has a high-tech battery plant he would like to sell to you.
Previous Articles in the Series:
The Obama Jobs Plan #1 — Manufacturing