ISIS-affiliated media and the Islamic State’s top leaders have issued direct threats against the West, including the US. In his very first recorded speech, head of the Islamic State, Abu Bakr al Baghdadi specifically threatened the United States.
ISIS spokesman, Abu Muhammad al Adnani, threatened to strike the US and the “allies of America” back in September 2014 and again in March 2015. In March, he vowed attacks on the White House and Big Ben. And the Eiffel Tower. “On the other hand, we – with Allah’s help – want Paris, before Rome and Islamic Iberia and after we blow up the White House, Big Ben, and the Eiffel Tower before Paris, and Rome,” Adnani warned. He went on to say: “We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women, by the permission of Allah, the Exalted.”
Adnani is the one who called for the recent attack on Paris and the West. In 2014, he said:
“If you can kill a disbelieving American or European — especially the spiteful and filthy French — or an Australian, or a Canadian, or any other disbeliever from the disbelievers waging war, including the citizens of the countries that entered into a coalition against the Islamic State, then rely upon Allah, and kill him in any manner or way, however it may be.” He emphasized taking initiative and not waiting for instructions: “Do not ask for anyone’s advice and do not seek anyone’s verdict. Kill the disbeliever whether he is civilian or military, for they have the same ruling. Both of them are disbelievers.”
Confirmed dead today by French prosecutors, Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who is said to have been the mastermind behind the Paris attacks, is part of a cell headed by Adnani. But, the New York Times reports that, ‘it is not known whether Mr. Abaaoud had any direct contact in Syria with Mr. Adnani, the architect of what the C.I.A. director, John O. Brennan, on Monday called the Islamic State’s “external operations agenda.’ As a low-level fighter, Mr. Abaaoud was unlikely to have mixed with senior figures in the militant group’s hierarchy, experts in Belgium said.”
There is a $5 million bounty on Adnani’s head, offered by the United States.
This week, GhostSec, a counterterrorism group within the Anonymous collective, came across two documents online which were authored by Adnani. The first document was posted online, via the ISIS-affiliated Al Battar Media Foundation, on the same day as the Paris attacks and includes these key points:
- The document is entitled, “They Kill and Are Killed”
- Adnani stresses that this is not just a bad episode that will fade: “Oh no! Oh no! O enemies of Allah, the Caliphate will remain with the permission of Allah, until the time comes, because we are followers of Mohamed prayer and peace be upon him and his followers that peace and prayer be upon him will never lose.”
- He discusses the growth of the Caliphate in West Africa and congratulates them for their successes.
- Adnani explains that Jews and Christians only have two options: “If you want to spare your blood, save your money and live safely away from our swords, you have only two choices no third option. Either you submit to Allah alone, without partner, and believe in Him as your Lord and God, thus gaining security in worldly life and success in the hereafter…”
- He threatens revenge: “And remember O Jews, and remember O cross, our nation lives by his blood. The more our blood flows, stronger and more powerful we become, by Allah, you do not kill a single person among us, without dozens of others by his blood come to life in his place.”
- Adnani writes that the most bloody battles are forthcoming.
The second diatribe was posted online on November 15th. In addition to calling President Obama a fool, Adnani proclaimed: “Soon you Obama! States will be cursed until they will remain. Beware! United States!”
The U.S. has also warned of potential ISIS targets in Italy: St Peter’s Basilica in Rome, La Scala opera house and Milan’s cathedral, in addition to churches, synagogues, restaurants, theaters and hotels.