I guess the Democrats are going to buy America some really great health care; they clearly don’t plan to be frugal with our money:
Health-care overhaul legislation being drafted by House Democrats will include $600 billion in tax increases and $400 billion in cuts to Medicare and Medicaid, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel said.
Democrats will work on the bill’s details next week as they struggle through “what kind of heartburn” it will cause to agree on how to pay for revamping the health-care system, Rangel, a New York Democrat, said today. He also said the measure’s cost will reach beyond the $634 billion President Barack Obama proposed in his budget request to Congress as a down payment for the policy changes.
Asked whether the cost of a health-care overhaul would be more than $1 trillion, Rangel said, “the answer is yes.”
No wonder Democrats are using blackmail to ram the bill through Congress.
I wonder if Rangel will include some of the pork-barrel projects that have made their way into the Senate bill:
- A “Community Makeover Program” to spend billions to beautify streets, up to $10 per person in selected communities;
- Fund a federal government program to build new sidewalks and bike paths, and put up street lights;
- Finance new grocery stores and farmers’ markets;
- Revoke employers rights to provide free wellness benefits to employees;
- Mandate that a new Washington health police bureaucracy dictate what local restaurants can offer their customers; and,
- Subsidize community projects like building jungle gyms in parks.
Right now America is spending 11 percent more on health care than any other nation. Why do Democrats think that throwing more money at the problem is going to make things better?