When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for people to dissolve the bands which have connected them with a political party and to assume among the domains of society, the equal and independent station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, courtesy requires that they should declare why they feel the need to separated.
We hold these truths to be self-evident:
- That all people are equal at conception,
- That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, Responsibilities & Dignities.
- That among these are Life for All, Liberty of Conscience & Justice for the Oppressed.
- That to secure these Liberties, political parties are organized by people, deriving their authority from the consent of the members,
- That whenever any political party becomes destructive of these ends, it is right to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new party, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as shall seem most likely to effect Safety and Happiness.
History shows that political parties long established gradually become more corrupt when they forget their principles and change for light and transient causes. Accordingly all experience has shown that people of conscience are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to do right by themselves by dissolving the connections to a party to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations tries to dehumanize its members and trample their consciences under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such arrogant presumption, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
— Such has been our patient struggle as people of conscience; and such is now the necessity which constrains us to alter our former Systems of Politics. The history of the present two-party system is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over their members. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world:
- They have conspired to refuse their Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
- They have refused to obey the letter of our Constitution, choosing instead by legal precedent, foreign verbage, and personal will to confuse their own opinions with the letter of the law, trampling on the liberties they had sworn to protect.
- They have prevented states and local governments from passing Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till their Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, have utterly neglected to attend to them.
- They have passed other Laws infringing on the liberties of large groups of people, causing those people to relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
- They have called together legislative bodies at times unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the awareness of their constituents, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with their measures.
- They have overruled duly elected Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness their invasions on the rights of the people.
- After such overrulings, they have worked to cause others to be elected, to replace those who oppose their infringement of the people’s liberties, the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
- They have endeavored to prevent the population of these States from defending themselves; for that purpose obstructing the execution of the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to discourage their illegal migrations here, and raising the conditions of citizenship beyond what is reasonably possible for those of good faith.
- They have obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing to execute the laws passed by due constitutional process, and considered themselves as being above any law.
- They have made Judges dependent on their Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the credibility of their rulings.
- They have erected a multitude of New Offices, full of bureaucrats unaccountable to the people, and have sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.
- They have affected to render the federal bureaucracy independent of and superior to all duly elected officials.
- They have combined to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving their Assent to their own Acts of pretended Legislation.
- They have inflicted the power of Government upon us, declaring us out of their protection and waging war against our liberties.
- They have plundered our incomes, commandeered our local authorities, riled our towns, and destroyed the lives of many people.
- They have excited domestic insurrections among us, and have endeavored by cultural dissolution and neglect to bring on our inhabitants merciless savages whose known rule of warfare is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
In every stage of these oppressions we have asked for relief in the most humble of terms: Our repeated petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. Political parties, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a bully, are unfit to exist as a vehicle of the authority of a free people.
We haven’t stopped trying to get the attention of our elected representatives, either. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislatures to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our day-to-day lives and struggles. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have appealed to them by the ties of our common humanity to disavow these usurpations, which are definitely interfering with our business and our associations. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and equality of all under the Law. So we are giving up on trying to convince them, admitting that they want to hold onto their power at any cost, and will denounce our Separation. We hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Opponents in Election, when accountable to the law and the people, Friends.
We, therefore, the members of the Independent Covenant Party of America, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rightness of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the seven Divinely ordained domains of human society, solemnly publish and declare:
- That we are, and of Right ought to be a Free and Independent Party,
- that we are absolved from all allegiance to the current two-party system, and
- that all political connection between us and them is and ought to be totally dissolved; and
- that as agents of the seven free and independent domains of society, we claim all our Liberties:
- Choice of conscience,
- the Freedoms of speech, assembly, association, and the press.
- Propagation and maintenance of our families,
- Stewardship of our natural resources,
- Worship according to the creed of our choice,
- Establishment of Commerce,
- Defense of Justice and Peace,
…and all other Acts and Things which Independent people may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
[To sign this Declaration, leave your name in the comments on the original post at fullspectrumpolitics.net]