Charles Johnson’s “Why I Parted Ways With The Right” was common knowledge to most of us before the official announcement was made today. Little Green Footballs is now officially a lefty blog.
From Wikipedia (and this text will probably change very soon):
Little Green Footballs (LGF) is a political blog run by American web designer Charles Johnson.
Media observers have long described the site as “right wing”, but since 2007, the site’s emphasis has changed, such that “LGF has become better known for the various fights it picks with many on the right.”
Johnson once stated:
I’m not pretending I’m giving equal time to both sides. But I do think what I’m advocating, and what I believe in, is the right side.
More recently, however, he has claimed that:
I don’t think there is an anti-jihadist movement anymore… It’s all a bunch of kooks. I’ve watched some people who I thought were reputable, and who I trusted, hook up with racists and Nazis. I see a lot of them promoting stories and causes that I think are completely nuts.
LGF’s finest moment was just before the 2004 election, when Johnson exposed the frauds in the Killian documents regarding President George W. Bush, causing the resignation of CBS News anchorman Dan Rather.
LGF has been right on Israel for a long time, and I’m thankful for that. Jews have too few friends. Charles Johnson took a lot of hits for showing the realities (and terror) of Muslim anti-Semitism. He often wondered aloud if it was worth all the name-calling and being referred to as a “hate” site.
I enjoyed some of the slang terms that he used, such as “Religion of Peace” and “idiotarian.” I also enjoyed the article links feature.
Compete.com shows a steep traffic decline for LGF.
For the past two years, Johnson has been banning people from his site–most notably Pamela Geller of Atlas Shrugs. YID With LID took his banishment hard and has “BAN LIBERAL BLOGGER CHARLES JOHNSON” on the left side of his website. Johnson’s deleted many comments that weren’t in agreement with his approved thought. Post after post were all the same; suddenly, LGF became a daily anti-Creationism blog. Boy, did that get boring fast.
Charles Johnson never “got” the most important issue of our time–economics and Obama and trillion-dollar deficits. Johnson railed against the tea parties, Fox News, and especially Glenn Beck. When someone posted that this lunatic Glenn Beck is actually doing a good job exposing ACORN, Johnson wrote that he didn’t see anything wrong with ACORN at all. Yeesh!
I’ve seen all kinds of reasons when people leave the right, and I don’t buy most of them. NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg gave a bunch of reasons no one remembers for switching from Republican to Independent, but he wanted to run for president. Bloomberg never stands for anything except for what’s best for Bloomberg. When Arlen Spector changed parties, it was good riddance to bad rubbish. No one can vote for the “stimulus” and hold any true Republican values. When Colin Powell lectured us about how the Republican party had lost its way and he couldn’t possibly endorse a far-right radical like John McCain, a basic response was “Oh, please!”
David Brock said he was “Blinded by the Right” as he went on to found Media Matters, but one senses there was a huge paycheck involved–probably the paychecks that Charles Johnson wants now. Here’s comment #21 on Ace of Spades HQ “Obligatory: Charles Johnson Makes it Official”:
Why doesn’t anyone just say the truth about Charles Johnson?
Charles Johnson is a blogger who thought he’d make a lot of money hitching his train to the right-wing blogosphere, co-creating Pajamas Media.
It didn’t work out for him, and now hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
Charles Johnson has always been a one-trick pony. Anyone who disagrees with Charles Johnson is a neo-Nazi. So, a couple years ago, DailyKos and so forth were all a bunch of neo-Nazis. Today, Ace of Spades, InstaPundit, Pajams Media, etc, are all a bunch of neo-Nazis.
The man is a joke. And you can’t put any stock into his moral proclaimations.
Let’s look at the ten reasons:
1. Support for fascists. (OBAMA DOESN’T SUPPORT EVERY FASCIST AND DICTATOR ON EARTH?)
2. Support for bigotry, hatred, and white supremacism. (WHICH SIDE HAS BLACK PANTHERS WITH NIGHTSTICKS AT POLLING BOOTHS? WHICH SIDE REFUSES TO PROSECUTE THAT?)
3. Support for throwing women back into the Dark Ages, and general religious fanaticism. (WHICH SIDE LIBERATED AFGHANISTAN FROM THE TALIBAN?)
4. Support for anti-science bad craziness. (YEAH. CLIMATEGATE IS NO BIGGIE.)
5. Support for homophobic bigotry. (“HATE CRIME” LAWS ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL. HOW IS SARAH PALIN A HOMOPHOBE?)
6. Support for anti-government lunacy. (IT’S THE TRILLION-DOLLAR DEFICITS FOR ENDLESS GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS, CHARLES.)
7. Support for conspiracy theories and hate speech. (VAN JONES SIGNED A 9-11 TRUTHER PETITION AND LIVED THIS STUFF.)
8. A right-wing blogosphere that is almost universally dominated by raging hate speech. (BY QUOTING OBAMA CZARS IN THEIR OWN WORDS?)
9. Anti-Islamic bigotry that goes far beyond simply criticizing radical Islam, into support for fascism, violence, and genocide. (LGF USED TO BE PRETTY GOOD ON THIS. WE’RE AT WAR, CHARLES.)
10. Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories. (OBAMA IS A FAR-LEFT GUY AND HAS ALWAYS HAD FAR-LEFT FRIENDS. HE CONSTANTLY APOLOGIZES FOR AN AMERICA HE SIMPLY DOESN’T LIKE. HIS POLICIES WILL DESTROY AMERICAN BUSINESS AND THE MIDDLE CLASS. HE’S THE WORST PRESIDENT WE’VE EVER HAD. SHOULD WE HOLD OUR FIRE?)
“The American right wing has gone off the rails, into the bushes, and off the cliff.”
In your opinion, Charles Johnson, in your opinion.
The left perhaps is cheering the move, but let’s face it, they ain’t gonna be reading his blog on a regular basis.
Charles Johnson broke new ground in the blogsphere and we can thank him for that. If he feels more comfortable on the left, then good for him.
We’re not moving with you.