President Obama had a campaign pledge to end the “politics as usual in Washington”. A pledge he has broken once again with the token border security bill signed into law this week. To be fair, this new border security bill does pay for 160 new federal immigration officers and sends a respectable 1000 new border agents to the border, but just gives them a laughable 2 new unmanned aircraft to work with, in the job of keeping our borders secure. It would be nice to believe that this administration and the majority of our representatives are hearing the voice of the people and are at least thinking about getting tough on border security. But it appears to be election year posturing as actions speak louder than words.
As the new bill was signed into law the Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano stated “You’re never going to totally seal that border” in reference to the southern border of the United States. Also, from the president’s remarks, this new border security bill is something he expects to use as a stepping stone to a comprehensive immigration reform bill. While saying his administration has “dedicated unprecedented resources and personnel” to secure the border, he also said “these steps will make an important difference as my administration continues to work with Congress toward bipartisan comprehensive immigration reform”. Apparently two unmanned aircraft are considered unprecedented resources. Eliseo Medina a former member of president Obama’s National Latino Advisory Council gave the people a little insight as to what the real goal of this so called immigration reform is as she stated: “We reform the immigration laws; it puts 12 million people on the path to citizenship and eventually voters. If we have eight million new voters who care about, and will be voting, we will be creating a governing coalition for the long term.” while outlining what amnesty could do for Democrats. Even as the president sends 1200 National Guard troops to the border he does not give them the authority to actually do any direct law enforcement such as detaining illegal aliens or drug runners that may be crossing the border including potential terrorists.
If the administration is serious about immigration reform they can start with a few simple steps:
- Give ICE the resources they need to enforce our immigration laws.
- Enforce the laws on ALL those illegally entering or currently in our country. Entities such as ICE currently do not have the resources they need to enforce our laws.
- Outlaw federal dollars going to welfare for those here illegally.
- Ban illegal alien adults from being able to collect ANY form of government assistance.
- Detain any person illegally in this country trying to collect welfare benefits and turn them over to ICE.
- Just this last year illegal alien parents collected almost as much as the president just spent in this latest border joke in welfare, and that’s just in Los Angeles County.
- Use the money saved by this welfare reform to purchase manpower and electronic surveillance equipment to bolster border security of our northern and southern borders.
- Enforce strict penalties including heavy fines on businesses that employ illegal aliens.
- The key word here is “enforce”, in 2003 only 4 employers were prosecuted for employing illegal aliens.
- Give state National Guard the authority to defend our borders apprehending those attempting to cross our borders illegally.
Why should this administration as well as our representatives take border security seriously?
- The security of this nation is one of the few jobs delegated to the federal government.
- The federal government has been failing to protect our borders for years. It is time they start doing this job.
- The federal government has a responsibility to be good stewards of the people’s money.
- Giving taxpayer dollars in the form of welfare to illegal aliens is not being a good steward of hard earned taxpayer dollars.
- Tax payer dollars in the form of welfare should be used to help citizens, not illegal aliens.
- Giving welfare to illegal alien families only encourages the illegal immigration problem.
- The federal government would not have to sue their own citizens
- An example is the Arizona citizens who have taken it upon themselves to do the job the federal government won’t do.
- The wages of low skilled law abiding citizens are suppressed due to illegal immigration.
- A country cannot exist without secure borders.
- Illegal immigration is destroying the environment along the border. How come we don’t hear the outcry from environmentalists?
- In 2000 twenty seven percent of federal prisoners were made up of non-citizens and illegal aliens. Enforcing our borders will save taxpayer dollars.
It’s time to cut the politics out of the immigration debate. It’s time for the federal government to stand up and lead. Before they play partisan politics demanding immigration reform our federal representatives must prove they are serious about the border security of this country. We were fooled before in 1986 when millions of illegal aliens were granted amnesty with the promise of enforcement. The enforcement never came and now tokens of enforcement are offered by the current administration while border communities become kidnapping havens and portions of the country are declared too dangerous for our own citizens.
Call your representatives and tell them it’s time they put politics aside and start doing their job. Washington needs to stand up and lead by enforcing current immigration law and securing our borders instead of looking for ways to get new voters who will be dependent on big government. No more talk of amnesty, paths to citizenship, partisan politics or racism. It is time for Washington to stand up and act. Only when our borders are secured and the federal government has a proven track record of keeping the borders secure will the people consider immigration reform.
To those currently here illegally in this country, it’s time to go back home and apply for American citizenship legally. We are a nation that loves immigrants. My great grandparents came to this country through Ellis Island. I have several good friends who came to this country through legal paths and became citizens. I am sure some of you are here because you love America, but others are not as they choose not to learn our language, fly the flag of their country of origin and continue to break our laws. While hard working Americans that want our border laws enforced are called racists. This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with enforcing the immigration and border laws of our country. If we decide to grant those here illegally amnesty just because they came here to have a better life. Where do we draw the line? Should we start releasing people from jail caught stealing in the name of making a better life for their family? Perhaps we should allow those making the minimum wage to steal $50 a month from their employers once a month to help better family life? I don’t think so. Enforce our immigration laws and secure the border, show us you mean it and then we will talk.
Cross posted from www.demandliberty.org